Writing Lead: Mrs Park
At The Trinity, we believe that a quality Literacy (English) curriculum should develop children’s love of reading, writing and discussion. Through the ARK English curriculum, we aim to inspire an appreciation of our rich and varied literary heritage and a habit of reading widely and often.
Our English curriculum has been developed to recognise the importance of English in every aspect of daily life and to develop children’s love of reading, writing and discussion. We recognise the importance of nurturing a culture where children love to read, take pride in their writing and can clearly and accurately adapt their language and style for a range of contexts. Our aim is to inspire children to be confident in the art of speaking and listening and to be able to use discussion to communicate and further their learning.
Our intent is to enable children to:
- Read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- Develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information • Appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage.
- Write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences.
- Develop a love of writing and to be able to express their thoughts and ideas clearly and creatively through the written word.
- Re-read, edit and improve their own writing.
- Confidently use the essential skills of grammar, punctuation and spelling
- Acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language.
- Use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and clearly explain their understanding and ideas.
- Become competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.